This post contains affiliate links for which I may earn a commission (at no extra cost to you) should you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclaimer for more information.
This banana chocolate chip mug cake is quick and easy to make, with only 6 required ingredients! It is vegan and gluten-free if you use certified GF oat flour.
Mug cakes are the perfect alternative to spending time baking a cake in the oven. They are a great single-serving treat for when you’re craving some cake!
This vegan banana mug cake is super easy to make at any moment, and all you need is 6 simple ingredients that you may already have!
Bananas are incredibly versatile. They can be used as a key ingredient in smoothies, pancakes, muffins, mug cakes, and more!
The texture of this banana mug cake is fluffy and moist, and it has a delicious chocolate banana taste that is similar to banana bread.
Why you’ll love it
This banana chocolate chip mug cake is:
- Gluten-free (make sure you use GF certified oat flour)
- So quick and easy to make!
Here is everything you will need to make this banana chocolate chip mug cake:
*scroll down to the recipe box for quantities.
Really ripe banana – make sure you use a banana that is spotty for this mug cake.
Maple syrup - This adds some extra sweetness!
All-natural peanut butter- I suggest using peanut butter that only has peanuts as an ingredient. No added sugar, oil, or anything else.
Baking powder- This will help you mug cake rise.
Oat flour- Oat flour is super easy to make on your own. Just blend some rolled oats in your blender until a flour forms.
Mini chocolate chips- Mini chocolate chips add that delicious chocolate flavor to this mug cake. Use vegan chocolate chips to keep this recipe vegan.
How to make this banana chocolate chip mug cake
Making this mug cake is super easy!
You’ll start by mashing a banana and measuring out ¼ cup of mashed banana. This will require less than one full banana, so what I do is just break off part of a banana and mash it, then measure. If it’s not quite ¼ cup, just take another piece of banana and mash it until you fill a ¼ cup measuring cup.
Then you can freeze the leftover banana piece and use it in a smoothie!
Once your mashed banana is measured, add it to the bowl with the peanut butter, maple syrup, and baking powder. Quantities can be found below.
Next, mix in the oat flour, then the chocolate chips.
Pour the batter into a ramekin, then microwave for 1 minute. Let it cool before piercing it with a fork to test the texture. You can then microwave in additional 10 second increments if needed.
- Use a ripe banana so that it will mash more easily and have a sweeter taste. It should have many brown spots.
- I recommend mixing all of the ingredients in a bowl, then transferring to a mug before microwaving. It will be much easier to mash the banana with a fork when it’s in a wide bowl. This will make the batter more smooth.
- I recommend using an all-natural peanut butter. You can check the ingredients on the package and make sure the only ingredient is peanuts. No need for added sugar or oil. Natural peanut butter will have oil on the top because it separates from the peanuts. Just make sure you mix this in the jar thoroughly before using the peanut butter.
- Once you pour your batter into a ramekin, sprinkle some additional chocolate chips on top for extra chocolatey goodness!
- Make sure that your ramekin is filled no more than about halfway before microwaving. When you microwave you mug cake, it will rise up quite a bit so you need it to have some space to expand.
- Microwave time may vary depending on your microwave’s power. Start with 1 minute, then pierce your mug cake with a fork. If you feel it needs to be cooked a bit longer, use 10 second increments until you are satisfied with the texture.
More banana recipes
Banana Chocolate Chip Mug Cake
- Mash part of a ripe banana and measure out ¼ cup. Place the ¼ cup of mashed banana in a bowl.
- Mix in the maple syrup and peanut butter.
- Mix in the baking powder.
- Mix in the oat flour.
- Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Once everything is combined, pour the batter into a ramekin and microwave for 1 minute.
Nutrition information is an estimate generated from a nutrition calculator. There may be errors here or variations based on ingredients you use.