This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclaimer for more information.
This vegan banana mug brownie is quick and easy to make with only 6 ingredients! It is moist, flourless, and gluten-free.
Sometimes I just want a slice of cake or a brownie. But who has time to bake a cake or a batch of brownies at the drop of a hat?
Mug brownies are the perfect alternative to buying all the ingredients and taking all the time to bake a whole pan of brownies!
This vegan banana mug brownie is super easy to make at any moment, and all you need is six simple ingredients that you may already have!
The texture is gooey and moist – although this varies with the ripeness of the banana used – and it has a chocolate peanut butter taste (which is my favourite flavour combo!).
What you need for this flourless vegan banana mug brownie
Bananas are incredibly versatile. They can be used as a key ingredient in smoothies, pancakes, muffins, and mug cakes!
This mug brownie is so easy to make, and it’s made with only healthy ingredients. It is also flourless, so it’s naturally gluten-free!
Here is everything you will need:
- 1 banana
- 1 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp cacao powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp peanut butter (all-natural)
Is it healthy?
This flourless vegan brownie in a mug is definitely much healthier than your average brownie.
If you buy all-natural peanut butter and make your own almond milk, this recipe will have no refined sugar and be completely oil-free.
Making your own almond milk can be a lot of work, so even if using store-bought with additives, it’s not a big deal because this recipe only requires one tablespoon. Just make sure you buy unsweetened almond milk if buying from the store. You can also check the ingredients to ensure it’s oil-free.
Tips for making this vegan brownie in a mug
- For this recipe, you need to use a banana that is yellow and quite firm, with no brown spots. If you use a very ripe banana, the mug brownie will end up being too mushy and it won’t be able to firm up to a brownie texture. The riper the banana, the more moist and gooey the mug brownie will be, but if your banana is spotty you may end up with a mushy mess.
- I recommend mixing all of the ingredients in a bowl, then transferring to a mug before microwaving. It will be much easier to mash the banana with a fork when it’s in an wide bowl. This will make the batter more smooth.
- For maximum health, ensure that you are using all-natural peanut butter. You can check the ingredients on the package and make sure the only ingredient is peanuts. No need for added sugar or oil. Natural peanut butter will have oil on the top because it separates from the peanuts. Just make sure you mix this in the jar thoroughly before using the peanut butter.
- This recipe only require 1 tbsp of almond milk, but it would be a great idea to make your own and use the rest for other recipes. It you want to make your own almond milk from scratch to avoid unhealthy additives, you can learn how to make almond milk here.
- Make sure that your mug or ramekin is filled no more than about halfway before microwaving. When you microwave your mug cake, it will rise up quite a bit, so you need it to have some space to expand.
- Microwave time may vary depending on your microwave’s power. Start with 1.5 minutes, then pierce your mug cake with a fork. If you feel it needs to be cooked a bit longer, use 10 second increments until you are satisfied with the texture. You may need to microwave it for more than 2 minutes. It really just depends, so I can’t give you an exact time!
Check out these other banana-based recipes:
Flourless Banana Mug Brownie (Vegan)
- Mash the banana in a bowl.
- Add the maple syrup and almond milk, and mix thoroughly.
- Add the cacao powder and baking powder and mix thoroughly. It will take quite a bit of mixing to get the cacao powder fully incorporated.
- Mix in the peanut butter.
- Pour batter into a mug or ramekin and microwave for 1.5 minutes (please see note about microwaving time below).