This post contains affiliate links for which I may earn a commission (at no extra cost to you) should you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclaimer for more information.
This sweet potato smoothie tastes like a delicious pie! It is a super filling smoothie that is dairy-free, vegan, and gluten-free.
I am such a huge smoothie lover, I even have a category on my blog that is dedicated to vegan smoothies!
On most days, I opt for a fruity green smoothie with spinach, but sometimes I like to indulge in a super filling, dessert-like smoothie such as my avocado peanut butter smoothie or this sweet potato pie smoothie.
Sweet potatoes are incredibly diverse and work well for so many recipes, from chocolate sweet potato pie to sweet potato sauce for pasta.
If you want a scrumptious smoothie that seriously tastes like a pumpkin pie, you need to try this one!
This Sweet Potato Smoothie Is
- Delicious, just like pie!
Here is what you will need to make this delectable sweet potato smoothie:
*Scroll down to the recipe box for quantities.
- Mashed sweet potato: You can use a canned sweet potato puree, or you can make your own. Just peel and chop some sweet potato, then boil in water on the stove until they are very soft. Drain the water and mash the sweet potato.
- Unsweetened plant-based milk: Several plant-based milks would work for this recipe. I like using cashew milk or oat milk.
- Frozen banana: Using a frozen banana makes this sweet potato smoothie creamy and cools it down.
- Natural peanut butter: I suggest using peanut butter that does not contain extra ingredients like salt, sugar, or added oil. The only ingredient should be peanuts.
- Vanilla extract
- Hemp hearts: These add some extra plant-based protein to your smoothie.
- Maple syrup: Pure maple syrup adds some extra sweetness to this smoothie.
- Pumpkin pie spice: This will give your smoothie that delectable pumpkin pie taste!
How to Make This Smoothie
Like any smoothie, this one is super simple to make. The two things that you may have to prep before blending everything, are the mashed sweet potato and the frozen banana. You may be able to find canned sweet potato at a grocery store, but I haven’t found it where I live, so I cook and mash the sweet potato myself.
Start by peeling your sweet potato, making sure all of the skin is completely removed. Then chop the sweet potato and place the pieces in a pot. Add water to the pot, then bring it to a boil. Boil until the sweet potato is very soft and easily pierced with a fork. This should take about 15 minutes.
Once you have cooked the sweet potato, mash it with a potato masher, then measure out ½ cup for the smoothie. I like to eat the leftovers just like regular mashed potatoes!
To freeze your banana, I recommend peeling it first, then chopping it in half before placing it in a sealed container in the freezer. I always keep a full container of frozen banana halves in my freezer for smoothies, because a frozen banana always makes a smoothie more creamy!
Next, just add all of the ingredients to your blender and blend until smooth. If you want your smoothie to be thinner, just add a bit more plant-based milk.
- If you don’t have hemp hearts, you could simply omit them or use chia seeds instead. Neither of these seeds will change the taste of the smoothie, but I like adding them for extra plant-based protein.
- If you don’t want to use maple syrup, you could blend in a couple of Medjool dates for added sweetness.
- For the milk, various types of plant-based milk will work. I have tried almond milk, cashew milk, and oat milk for this smoothie, and they all work well. I wouldn’t recommend coconut milk because it often lends a strong taste to whatever it is in.
More Vegan Smoothies You May Enjoy
Sweet Potato Pie Smoothie
- ½ cup mashed sweet potato
- ¾ cups unsweetened plant-based milk (I like oat or cashew milk)
- ½ of a frozen banana
- 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Prepare your sweet potato if it isn’t already cooked and mashed. If you don’t have ½ of a frozen banana ready, you will need to prepare that as well. This smoothie won't be as good with unfrozen banana.
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Add more plant-based milk if you find the smoothie to be too thick.
- Drink immediately.
Leave a Reply