This post contains affiliate links for which I may earn a commission (at no extra cost to you) should you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclaimer for more information.
This peanut butter apple crisp is deliciously sweet, easy to make, and completely vegan. With a soft apple filling and a crunchy peanut butter topping, this apple crisp is a great choice for dessert!
Why you’ll love it
This peanut butter apple crisp is:
- Gluten-free (ensure you use certified GF oats)
- Easy to make
- Insanely good!
Love peanut butter? Try this peanut butter granola too!
Scroll down to the recipe card below for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
Here is a brief breakdown of the ingredients you will need for this peanut butter apple crisp:
For the filling:
- Apples: You can use any type of apple you like. My favorites for apple crisp are Fuji and Honeycrisp. Make sure you peel your apples and slice them thinly before chopping them into fairly small pieces.
- Potato starch and water: These ingredients will be mixed together with the filling to thicken the filling and help hold it together.
- Coconut sugar: This will add more sweetness to the apple crisp filling.
- Cinnamon and vanilla extract: These ingredients are mixed with the apple filling to add delicious flavor.
For the topping:
- Peanut butter: Make sure you use natural peanut butter that is made with just peanuts and maybe some salt. Nothing else should be listed as ingredients. Also make sure the peanut butter is stirred well because oil separation occurs with natural peanut butter.
- Maple syrup and coconut sugar: These ingredients are both used to sweeten the apple crisp topping.
- Ground cinnamon: More cinnamon is used in the topping for extra cinnamon flavor!
- Almond flour: This is to form the topping into a dough that can be broken up and placed on the filling. Use a fine or superfine almond flour.
- Rolled oats: Rolled oats are mixed into the topping. If you need this recipe to be gluten-free, ensure you use oats that are certified gluten-free.
How to make peanut butter apple crisp
Making this apple crisp is very straightforward!
You’ll want to start by setting your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit so it can preheat while you prep the ingredients.
Next, peel and slice your apples. They should be sliced fairly thin, as seen in the photos in this post. Cut each slice so you have small, thin pieces of apple.
In a large mixing bowl, mix the water and potato starch. Then mix in the other filling ingredients, finishing by mixing in the apple pieces.
Grease an 8 x 8 inch baking dish and pour in the filling.
For the topping, combine peanut butter and maple syrup in a mixing bowl. Then mix in the other topping ingredients.
Break up the doughy topping and evenly disperse it over the apple filling.
Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes.
Tips for this peanut butter apple crisp
- Peel the apples: The texture of your apple crisp filling will be much nicer without the peel!
- Slice the apples thin: If your apple is not sliced thin and chopped into pieces, it will take longer to soften while baking. You will have an apple crisp with apples that are too hard.
- Make sure you use natural peanut butter because the texture is different than other peanut butters that contain added sugar and oil. Natural peanut butter is needed to make the topping properly in this recipe.
Once the apple crisp has fully cooled, cover it tightly and store it in the fridge. It should keep for about 4 days in the fridge.
More vegan desserts
- Chocolate almond butter bars
- Chocolate peanut butter bars
- Chocolate sweet potato pie
- Peanut butter chocolate chip cookie dough
- Banana chocolate chip mug cake
- Chocolate covered dates
Peanut Butter Apple Crisp (Vegan)
- 4.5 cups of thinly sliced and chopped apples (see photos above)
- 1 tablespoon potato starch
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- Grease an 8 x 8 inch baking dish and set your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel your apples, slice them quite thin, then cut the slices into pieces. See photos in the post above for reference.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the potato starch and water and stir until fully combined.
- Next, stir in the vanilla extract, cinnamon, and coconut sugar.
- Add the apples and combine everything.
- Pour the apples into your prepared baking dish and spread them out evenly.
- For the topping, combine the peanut butter and maple syrup in a mixing bowl.
- Next, mix in the coconut sugar and ground cinnamon.
- Next, mix in the almond flour, then the rolled oats.
- The topping will be a fairly thick dough. Break off pieces and spread them all over the apple filling evenly.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 45 minutes. If the apples aren’t soft enough, bake a bit longer.
Nutrition information is an estimate generated from a nutrition calculator. There may be errors here or variations based on ingredients you use.