This post contains affiliate links for which I may earn a commission (at no extra cost to you) should you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclaimer for more information.
This vegan potato soup is thick, creamy, and delicious. It’s quite easy to make and is the perfect way to warm up on a cold day.
If you love a nice creamy soup, you need to try this vegan potato soup! You can also check out my vegan wild rice soup, which is similar to this one and just as tasty!
*Scroll down to the recipe box below for quantities and full instructions.
Here is what you will need to make this vegan potato soup:
- Garlic cloves
- Celery sticks
- Dried thyme leaves
- Nutritional yeast
- Ground black pepper
- Russet potatoes
- Vegetable broth
- Frozen corn
How to make
You’ll need to start by soaking your cashews to soften them up. Details on how to do this can be found below.
Next, chop the onion, garlic, celery, carrots, and potatoes.
In a pot or a deep pan, saute the onion, garlic, carrot, and celery for about 10 minutes.
Next, you will mix in all of the seasoning ingredients and add the chopped potatoes.
Pour in the broth, cover your pot with a lid, then simmer for about 20 minutes.
While the soup is simmering you will blend the cashews and water.
After 20 minutes of simmering, add the frozen corn and the cashew sauce and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes.
Tips for this vegan potato soup
- Chop the ingredients into fairly small pieces so they cook faster. This also makes the soup easier to eat.
- Make sure you soak your cashews so that they will blend into a smooth cashew sauce. If you don’t soak them first, they may end up chunky, and you don’t want chunks of cashews in your soup! This may not be an issue if you have a high-powered blender, but if you aren’t sure, I suggest soaking your cashews just in case your blender can’t handle them.
- To soak your cashews quickly: Boil some water in an electric kettle. Place the cashews in a bowl, then pour the boiled water over the cashews, covering them completely. Place a plate on top of the bowl to trap the heat and let the cashews soak for about 20 minutes.
- After cooking the soup, add some more salt and pepper if desired.
- Add a bit more broth if you prefer a thinner soup.
More vegan potato recipes
- Dairy-Free Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Vegan Potato Salad
- Lentil Potato Stew
- Oil-Free Roasted Breakfast Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Chocolate Pudding
Vegan Potato Soup
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 3 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 medium russet potatoes, chopped
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn
- 1 cup cashews
- ¾ cups water
- Start by soaking the cashews to soften them. Place the cashews in a bowl, then boil some water and pour it over the cashews, covering them completely. Place a plate over the bowl and let the cashews soak for 20 minutes.
- Saute the onion, garlic, carrot, and celery on medium heat for about 10 minutes. Add some water or broth if needed to prevent sticking.
- Mix in the chopped potato, thyme, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper.
- Add the vegetable broth and place the lid on your pot. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, drain the cashews and place them in a high-powered blender with ¾ cups of water. Blend until smooth.
- Mix the frozen corn into your soup after it simmers for 20 minutes.
- Pour the cashew sauce into the pot and mix it in. Simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes.
Leave a Reply