This post contains affiliate links for which I may earn a commission (at no extra cost to you) should you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclaimer for more information.
This vegan wild rice soup is super simple and easy to make. It is a great healthy dish to warm you up on a cold day.
On a cold, rainy day, I love to curl up on the couch with a warm bowl of soup. I usually go for my hearty vegan lentil stew, but for some variety, I recently made a delicious vegan wild rice soup.
This soup is very simple and easy to make. You just need some veggies, broth, and seasoning for some extra flavour. And to make it thick and creamy, you'll make a simple cashew sauce.
*Scroll down to the recipe box of quantities.
- Garlic cloves
- Celery sticks
- Dried thyme leaves
- Nutritional yeast
- Ground black pepper
- Vegetable broth
- Wild rice
Tips for making this vegan wild rice soup
- To saute your vegetables without oil, simply add some water or broth to prevent sticking. However, this isn't always necessary because the vegetables will release water as they cook and you may not need to add any water at all.
- Once you add in your rice, you may need to adjust the cook time slightly. Check the package of rice you are using to see how long it needs to cook for. Most wild rice requires a cook time of 40-45 minutes, but check the texture of your rice near the end of the cook time. If it is still too firm, cook for a bit longer, and if you notice the texture is ready slightly sooner, you can stop cooking it a bit early.
- This soup is quite thick and chunky, so if you want to thin it out you can add a bit more broth. You will notice it gets even thicker after sitting and being refrigerated, so if you have leftovers you can add some broth or water before re-heating.
More vegan mains
Vegan Wild Rice Soup
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- ¾ cups wild rice (uncooked)
- 1 cup plain cashews
- ¾ cups water
- Start by soaking your cashews. Place them in a bowl, then pour some boiled water over them and cover the bowl with a plate. Let sit for about 20 minutes.
- In a large pot, sauté onion, garlic, celery, and carrot for about 10 minutes. Use water or vegetable broth to prevent sticking.
- Mix in the thyme, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper.
- Mix in the the broth and rice.
- Bring the broth to a boil, then reduce to low heat and simmer with the lid on for 40 minutes. Check to see if your rice is cooked. You want it to be almost completely cooked before the next step.
- While your soup is cooking, drain the water from your cashews. Place the cashews and ¾ cups of water in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the blended cashew sauce into the soup after the rice has been cooked. Mix it in and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition information is an estimate generated from a nutrition calculator. There may be errors here or variations based on ingredients you use.