This post contains affiliate links for which I may earn a commission (at no extra cost to you) should you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclaimer for more information.
This sweet potato chocolate pudding is vegan and refined sugar free. It is a delicious plant-based dessert that is super easy to make and requires only 5 simple ingredients!
What’s better than a no-bake dessert? They are usually super quick and easy to make and easily adjustable without ruining them!
One of my favorite easy no-bake desserts is my avocado chocolate pudding, but this sweet potato chocolate pudding is also delicious!
It’s the perfect vegan dessert to make when you want something sweet and satisfying but you don’t want it to be time consuming and complicated.
This chocolate pudding is:
- Refined-sugar free
- Rich and creamy
- Healthier than your average chocolate pudding
*Scroll down to the recipe box for full quantities and instructions.
Only 5 simple ingredients are required to make this sweet potato chocolate pudding:
- Sweet potato: Sweet potato creates the base of this recipe. You will need to peel and chop your sweet potato, then cook it until soft.
- Cacao powder: Cacao powder is what will create a chocolate taste for your pudding.
- Plant-based milk: You can use whatever plant-based milk you like. I prefer using oat milk or almond milk for this recipe. Make sure it is plain and unsweetened for the healthiest option.
- Maple syrup: Maple syrup is a healthier option than refined white sugar for sweetening this recipe.
- Vanilla extract: Vanilla extract adds some delicious flavour to this recipe, but it would still be good without.
How to Make
Making this sweet potato chocolate pudding is super easy!
You’ll need to start by measuring and cooking your sweet potato.
Start by peeling your sweet potato and chopping it into cubes.
Next, measure it if you have a food scale. This will give you the best result because you will be using exactly the right amount of sweet potato. This recipe calls for 300 grams of sweet potato once the peel has been removed.
If you don’t have a food scale, 300 grams of sweet potato comes to roughly 2 cups of large cubes.
Once you have your sweet potato chopped and measured, place it in a pot and cover the sweet potato completely with water.
Place the bot on the stove and heat on high until the water starts to boil. Boil until the sweet potato is soft and easily pierced with a fork. This should take about 15 minutes of boiling.
When your sweet potato is soft, drain the water and place the sweet potato chunks in a food processor with all of the other ingredients.
Blend everything until it’s all evenly incorporated and smooth!
Here are some tips to ensure that this recipe turns out perfect for you!
- As mentioned in the recipe, it is best to measure your sweet potato with a food scale. This will ensure that you are using the correct amount and that all of the ingredient ratios are correct. If you are measuring with cups because you don’t have a scale it will still work, but you may want to make some adjustments to the other ingredients based on taste.
- If making adjustments for taste, add slowly so you don’t accidentally add too much. For example, if you want your chocolate pudding sweeter, start by adding one extra tablespoon of maple syrup. If you want it more chocolatey, add a sprinkle of cacao powder. Then re-blend and taste.
- For the plant-based milk, I recommend using almond milk or oat milk for the best result. I find that neither of these milks overpowers the pudding, which is great because they won’t change the taste.
- Adjust the amount of milk to your preference. I like this pudding quite thick, but you can definitely add a bit more milk if you want it thinner.
- Add toppings for extra flavor! See some of my favorite options below.
Toppings for Sweet Potato Chocolate Pudding
This chocolate pudding is great on its own, but it also goes well with a variety of toppings!
Here are some of my favorites:
- Coconut flakes
- Chopped nuts (I love adding chopped peanuts)
- Fruit (I like raspberries or blueberries)
- Chocolate syrup
- Mix in some peanut butter
More Vegan No-Bake Desserts
- Chocolate almond butter bars
- Chocolate peanut butter cookie dough balls
- Chocolate peanut butter freezer fudge
- Chocolate-covered dates
Sweet Potato Chocolate Pudding
- 300 grams peeled sweet potato (about 2 cups chopped into large cubes)
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- ¼ cup plain plant-based milk (almond milk or oat milk)
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Start by peeling your sweet potato, then chop it into cubes and measure out 300 grams. If you don’t have a food scale, use approximately 2 cups of sweet potato cubes, chopped fairly large.
- Place the sweet potato cubes in a pot and cover them completely with water.
- Place the pot on the stove and bring the water to a boil. Let it boil until the sweet potato is very soft, about 15 minutes. The cubes should be easily pierced with a fork.
- Drain the water, then add the sweet potato and all other ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth and evenly incorporated.