This post contains affiliate links for which I may earn a commission (at no extra cost to you) should you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclaimer for more information.
This cinnamon hot chocolate is vegan and made with oat milk. It has a nice creamy texture and is sweetened with maple syrup.
On a cold, snowy night, there’s nothing I love more than cuddling up on the couch to watch a movie with a steaming cup of hot chocolate.
This cinnamon hot chocolate is the perfect drink to warm you up during the holiday season. It is made with cacao powder, giving it a decadent chocolatey taste, and is sweetened with pure maple syrup.
A bit of cinnamon really gives this vegan hot chocolate a nice, cozy flavour.
Why use oat milk for this hot chocolate?
This hot chocolate is vegan, so of course I recommend using a plant-based milk. I tried making this hot chocolate with various plant milks, including oat milk, coconut milk, and almond milk.
I found that using coconut milk gives this hot chocolate too much of a coconut taste. It really overpowers the chocolate taste, so only use coconut milk if you want your hot chocolate to taste like coconut.
Almond milk tastes just fine in this hot chocolate, but I prefer oat milk because it gives a thicker, creamier texture.
You can buy oat milk at the store, or make your own oat milk with oats and water to ensure that it is oil-free.
Add-ins for this vegan hot chocolate
This hot chocolate is delicious as is, even without the cinnamon.
However, I do recommend adding the ½ teaspoon of cinnamon. You could alternatively use a ½ teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice.
For a hot chocolate during the Christmas season, you may also want to add a peppermint flavour. This can be achieved with a couple of drops of peppermint extract, or you could even add a candy cane to your hot chocolate to make it more festive.
You could also top your hot chocolate with some vegan marshmallows or some whipped cream if desired.
This pumpkin whipped cream would be a delicious add-on.
Check out these other chocolate vegan treats:
PIN IT FOR LATER!
Cinnamon Hot Chocolate with Oat Milk (Vegan)
- 1 ½ cups oat milk (unsweetened)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup*
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ tablespoons cocoa powder
- ¼-½ teaspoon cinnamon (leave this out if you want plain hot chocolate)
- Add all ingredients to a small or medium sized pot and mix.
- Heat the pot on the stove on medium heat, stirring occasionally. Continue heating until the hot chocolate is bubbling slightly. Don't worry if the cocoa powder is clumpy at first. As it heats, you will be able to mix it in.
- Use a spoon to taste and test the temperature. When it’s hot enough, remove the pot from heat and pour the contents into a mug.