This post contains affiliate links for which I may earn a commission (at no extra cost to you) should you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclaimer for more information.
These vegan savory stuffed dates are a delicious combination of savory and sweet. They are easy to put together and make a great appetizer or snack!
Lately I have been loving dates as a sweet snack and I’ve been making these chocolate peanut butter stuffed dates over and over.
But I also love having savory dates with my delicious onion cashew cream cheese. They are easy to put together quickly if you already have the cream cheese pre-made and they make a great snack that you can grab anytime you get hungry throughout the day.
Why You Will Love These Savory Dates
- They are vegan
- They are gluten-free
- They are free of added oil
- They are super easy to make
- They are the perfect combination of sweet and savory
*Scroll to the recipe box below for full instructions.
- Medjool dates
- Chopped walnuts or pecans
- Onion cashew cream cheese
For the onion cashew cream cheese, you will need:
- Apple cider vinegar
- Lemon juice
- Onion powder
- Chopped chives
How to Make Vegan Savory Dates
Here is an overview. You can find full instructions in the recipe card further down.
You’ll want to start by making the cashew cream cheese. To do this, start by soaking your cashews so that they will blend into a smooth texture. Soak them for at least 4 hours at room temperature, or for a faster method, soak them in boiled water for at least 20 minutes.
Once your cashews have been soaked, blend all of the cream cheese ingredients in a food processor.
Next, open your dates lengthwise and remove the pits. Place about 1 teaspoon of the vegan cream cheese into each date.
Finally, top the dates with some chopped nuts of choice. I like to use chopped walnuts or pecans.
- If you are making the cashew cream cheese for this recipe, you will end up with about 1 cup of cream cheese, and you probabaly won’t have enough dates to fill. So save the extra cream cheese and use it on bagels, crackers and raw vegetables.
- Make sure you soak the cashews before making the cashew cream cheese! Even if you have a high quality food processor, I find the result is much better if the cashews are soaked. The texture will be much more smooth.
- If you don’t want to make the cashew cream cheese, you could always get a store-bought vegan cream cheese instead.
- Make sure that the dates you use are nice and soft. Medjool dates are best for this recipe, but over time they can harden. Using fresh, soft dates is best because they will be easier to bite. Also try to get dates that are fairly large so that you can fill them with enough cream cheese and nuts.
- These vegan savory stuffed dates are a great appetizer for a party.
- Serve your additional cashew cream cheese on a plater with celery sticks, carrot sticks, and crackers.
More Quick Snacks
If you love this recipe, check out these chocolate peanut butter stuffed dates as well.
Looking for more appetizer? Check out over 20 vegan party appetizers here!
For more information about going vegan, check out this post all about how to go vegan for beginners.
Vegan Savory Stuffed Dates
- Start by making your cashew cream cheese using the link above. You could alternatively just use a store-bought vegan cream cheese.
- Scoop one teaspoon of onion cashew cream cheese into each Medjool date.
- Place chopped nuts on the cream cheese.