This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclaimer for more information.
Banana, chocolate, and strawberry come together for this vegan nice cream recipe! It is healthy, easy to make, and requires no ice cream machine.
I love making vegan ice cream. It’s delicious and super quick and easy to whip up. The best part is that you can eat it right away (without putting it in the freezer for hours) if you don’t mind a soft-serve texture to your ice cream.
There are so many store-bought vegan ice creams these days and I enjoy many of them on occasion, but I like making my own, healthier version at home. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
What is nice cream?
Nice cream is a term used for ice cream that is made with frozen bananas as the base. It makes for the perfect healthy vegan ice cream alternative. When frozen bananas are blended, they develop a thick, creamy texture, very similar to soft serve ice cream. There are various possible flavours of nice cream, created by adding in more ingredients. You can add other frozen fruits, nut butters, sweeteners, etc. It’s important to note that regardless of what other flavours you add, there will likely still be a banana taste to your nice cream, so it may not be your cup of tea if you don’t like bananas.
This vegan ice cream is:
- Refined sugar-free
- Easy to make
For this nice cream, you will need:
- 2 frozen bananas (cut into chunks or slices)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp almond milk (optional to facilitate blending)
- ½ cup frozen strawberry
- 4 tbsp cacao powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
How to make this vegan ice cream:
1. First, you need to freeze your bananas
How you prepare your bananas before freezing will depend on what food processor or blender you are using. If you know it is powerful, you may be able to just chop your bananas in half before freezing. I like to slice up my bananas into several pieces before freezing so that they blend more easily in my food processor. Just make sure that when you put the pieces or slices into a container for freezing, you know how many pieces make up one whole banana. I usually layer my slices in a container with a piece of parchment paper between each layer to prevent the banana slices from sticking together while freezing.
2. Mixing the ingredients
Once you’ve got your two frozen bananas, add them to a food processor. Blend them with the maple syrup and add a tbsp of almond milk if needed to facilitate blending. Add some more if needed, but just one tbsp is enough for me. Next, blend in the frozen strawberry. Then you can add in the cacao powder and vanilla extract and blend it all together until smooth. Stir it around to ensure that there are no remaining pieces of frozen fruit.
After blending all the ingredients, your vegan ice cream will likely be fairly soft and may be melted too much for your liking. If you want your ice cream to be more firm, freeze it for awhile. If you allow it to freeze completely (around 3 hours), you may need to let it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before eating.
When your vegan ice cream is ready to eat, you may want to add some toppings! Some toppings that I enjoy are:
- Pecan pieces
- Unsweetened coconut flakes
- More maple syrup
- Melted peanut butter
If you’re interested in more chocolatey recipes, check these out:
Check out the recipe for this strawberry chocolate nice cream below!
Nice Cream – Banana Chocolate Strawberry
- Add the frozen bananas and maple syrup to a food processor or high-power blender and begin blending. This is where you may want to add a tbsp of almond milk to help get the blending started if your processor or blender isn’t powerful enough.
- Add the frozen strawberry to the food processor and blend until smooth.
- Finally, add in the cacao powder and vanilla extract and blend until smooth.
- After blending all the ingredients, the ice cream will likely be fairly soft and may be melted too much for your liking. If you want your ice cream to be more firm, freeze it for around 3 hours. If you allow it to freeze completely, you may need to let it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before eating.