This post contains affiliate links for which I may earn a commission (at no extra cost to you) should you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclaimer for more information.
These collard green wraps make the perfect healthy meal. They are completely vegan and gluten-free, and have a delicious quinoa and chickpea filling.
What is a Collard Green Wrap?
A collard green wrap is simply a wrap made with a collard leaf instead of a tortilla.
Collard greens are a healthy alternative to tortillas for anyone who is trying to limit carbs or just wants to add more green leafty vegetables into their diet. This is also a great alternative for those who are gluten-free.
You can add any filling you want to a collard green wrap, but they work best with cold items. I like adding some form of grain such as rice or quinoa, along with beans and a variety of vegetables.
Collard greens are an incredibly nutritious cruciferous vegetable. They are rich in vitamins A, C, and K, and are also a great source of fiber.
How to Make the Filling
To make the filling, you will need a medium sized bowl to mix all of the ingredients together.
Start by cooking the quinoa if it isn’t cooked already. You will only need ½ cup cooked quinoa, but you can make more and save it for other meals.
While the quinoa is cooking, chop all of the vegetables.
To you mixing bowl, start by adding the chickpeas and mash them with a masher or a fork. This will prevent them from rolling out of your collard wraps. When they are mashed they will help to hold everything together in the wraps.
Next, add your cooked quinoa and all of the chopped vegetables.
Pour on ¼ cup of dressing and mix it in. If you want more, add another ¼ cup.
The last step is to give it a taste and add anything else you’d like. I like to add a bit of dill and a few drops of hot sauce.
How to Assemble a Collard Wrap
Rolling your collard wrap can be a bit difficult at first, but you’ll get the hang of it. Just make sure you don’t over-fill the wrap so that it is easier to roll.
First, wash your collard leaf.
Next, you will need to deal with the stem of the collard leaf. Cut off the end of the stem, then cut all the way down the leaf along the thick part of the stem to flatten the leaf.
The leaf is now ready for filling. Lay the leaf out flat and put you filling on it lengthwise along one side of where the stem was just cut.
Wrap the length of one side of the collard leaf over top of the filling.
Next, tuck in the sides of the collard leaf.
Finally, cut your collard wrap in half.
Because these collard wraps are so versatile, you can add anything else you like. Here are some ideas:
- Hot sauce
- Other vegetables:
Other vegan lunch ideas:
To get started with a plant-based diet, check out the following:
Collard Green Wraps With Quinoa and Chickpea Filling (Vegan)
- ½ cup cooked chickpeas (using canned is easiest)
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- ¼ cup red cabbage (chopped)
- ¼ cup carrots (shredded or thinly sliced with a peeler)
- ¼ cup green onion (chopped)
- ¼ cup green pepper (chopped)
- ¼ - ½ cup dressing of choice (cashew caesar or maple dijon)
- Any seasonings of choice
- Start by mashing the chickpeas in a mixing bowl. Having them mashed will prevent them from falling out of your wraps.
- Next, add all remaining ingredients, including the dressing. Mix everything together thoroughly.
- To prepare your collard leaf, make sure it is washed, then slice off as much of the stem as you can.
- Place some of the filling onto your collard leaf.
- Start rolling the collard leaf over the filling.
- Fold the sides of the collard leaf over the top of the wrap.
- Finish rolling the collard wrap.
- Cut your collard wrap in half and it’s ready to eat!
Leave a Reply