This mild salsa recipe is perfect for those who love the taste of salsa, but don’t enjoy the heat. It is healthy, delicious, and easy to make!
Tortilla chips are very high on my list of favourite snacks ever! I have on many occasions overindulged in tortilla chips, usually along with a jar of salsa.
But that’s not all I use salsa for. I put salsa on almost every rice bowl I make (which is pretty much an everyday occurrence) because it’s a super quick and easy way to add some flavour.
I was using salsa so much recently, that it got to the point where I was buying a new jar from the store pretty much every single week. That gets expensive.
So I thought, why not make my own salsa?
This mild salsa recipe has become my new go-to everyday salsa. And when my boyfriend gave it a try, he said that he likes it more than the store-bought stuff! I’m serious. It’s a new favourite for us and I hope it will be for you too!
This mild salsa recipe is:
- Easy to make
- Perfect for nachos!
How hot is this mild salsa recipe?
I call this a mild salsa because the spice is nearly undetectable. It is perfect for those who want that delicious salsa taste, but don’t enjoy the heat that often comes with it. I personally find this salsa to be extremely mild and that’s exactly the way I like it! It may even be too mild for you; in which case I would suggest adding more jalapeño pepper until your desired heat level is reached.
What is in this mild salsa recipe?
- Yellow onion
- Bell peppers
- Jalapeño peppers
- Vegetable broth
- Fire roasted tomatoes
- Lime juice
- Garlic powder
- Ground cumin
- Ground black pepper
How to make this salsa
- To make this salsa, start by sautéing the peppers and onion. Use about 2 tbsp vegetable broth and 1 tbsp tamari to simmer the vegetables on low heat for around 7-10 minutes.
- When the onion and peppers have been sautéed, add them to a food processor or blender, along with all of the remaining ingredients. Blend until your desired consistency has been reached.
If you prefer a chunky salsa, just chop your veggies to your desired size before cooking, then stir all ingredients together without using a food processor or blender.
If you want another dip recipe, check out this healthy guacamole.
The Best Mild Salsa Recipe
- ½ cup yellow onion chopped
- ¼ cup red bell pepper chopped
- ¼ cup green bell pepper chopped
- 3 jalapeño peppers chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 cup canned fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- 4 tsp lime juice approx. 1 lime
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- Sauté the onion, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, jalapeño pepper with the vegetable broth and tamari. Simmer in a pan on the stove for approximately 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When the onion and peppers are ready, add all ingredients to a food processor or blender and blend until your desired consistency is reached.*