This post contains affiliate links for which I may earn a commission (at no extra cost to you) should you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclaimer for more information.
This vegan tofu scramble is the perfect plant-based breakfast! It is oil-free, gluten-free and pairs well with many vegetables.
Many people who switch to a plant-based diet struggle with what to eat for breakfast. If you want more than just toast or oatmeal, this recipe is for you!
It’s a wonderful choice for breakfast because it includes vegetables, which many people don’t get in their morning meal. There is also plenty of protein in this recipe and I love adding avocado for some healthy fat!
This recipe is completely vegan, oil-free, and gluten-free.
(scroll down to the recipe card for ingredient quantities and instructions)
Ground black pepper
Almond milk or oat milk (unsweetened)
Tofu (medium-firm or firm)
How to make vegan tofu scramble
Making this tofu scramble is super simple.
First, chop your vegetables and begin heating them in a pan on the stove. This recipe uses green peppers, red peppers, and mushrooms, but you could add other veggies of your choice as well. Heat on medium for between 5 and 10 minutes. If the veggies start sticking to the pan, add some water instead of oil!
While the vegetables are cooking, prepare your tofu. This recipe calls for 175 grams of tofu. This is a good amount for one large serving of tofu scramble. The packages of tofu I buy are 350 grams, so I just cut it in half. If you can’t find a package that makes it easy to divide into 175 grams, you should use a food scale to ensure you are using the correct amount.
Once you have your block of tofu, break it up in a bowl. You can use a fork or masher, or simply squish it with your hands.
Then add all seasoning and plant milk to the bowl with the tofu. Mix it all together.
Add the tofu mix to your pan with the vegetables and stir everything around. Cook for about 5 minutes. If you need more moisture to prevent sticking in the pan, add some water or more plant milk. After about 5 minutes, remove form heat.
Add any toppings or sides you would like and enjoy!
Does this tofu scramble taste like eggs?
Many people see tofu scramble as an alternative to scrambled eggs because of how similar the two dishes look. However other than appearance, this tofu scramble doesn’t have much in common with scrambled eggs. I’ve actually never had scrambled eggs, but based on feedback from family, I’m quite certain this does not taste like eggs. It is absolutely delicious though!
If you want a bit of an eggy taste, I have heard that kala namak (black salt) is a good addition, however I do not use it in my recipe.
What type of tofu do you need and should you press it?
For this recipe, I suggest using medium-firm or firm tofu. This allows the tofu to be broken up into smaller bits without being soft enough to turn to mush in the process.
If you want a softer, silkier texture, go with the medium-firm. This is what I prefer. Firm tofu will of course give you a firmer texture.
There is no need to press your tofu before proceeding with this recipe. The moisture in the tofu will actually allow the tofu to cook in the pan without using oil. Then it will eventually evaporate during the cooking process, so the extra moisture is not a problem at all. It’s actually super helpful if you want this recipe to be oil-free!
Toppings and sides
This tofu scramble is so versatile. It is a filling meal that is great as a vegan breakfast, but it is also a nutritious choice for lunch or dinner.
It pairs well with various vegetables, so feel free to add any that you want. You can even add some beans if desired. I like to add chickpeas or black beans.
Some of my favourites toppings for this tofu scramble are:
- Sliced avocado
- Additional chopped scallions
- Ketchup (make your own healthier version if desired)
- Hot sauce
Ideas for sides:
- Oil-free breakfast potatoes
- Any vegetables (I love having it with broccoli)
- Brown rice
You may also be interested in these tofu recipes:
Vegan Tofu Scramble Breakfast (WFPB, Oil-Free)
- ¼ cup red pepper (chopped)
- ¼ cup green pepper (chopped)
- ½ cup mushrooms (chopped)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch of salt (to taste, optional)
- 2 tablespoons almond or oat milk
- 1 tablespoon scallions (chopped)
- 175 grams tofu (medium-firm or firm)
- Add chopped peppers and mushrooms to a pan. Heat on the stove on medium heat for 5-10 minutes. Stir occasionally and add a bit of water if needed to prevent sticking.
- While the vegetables are cooking, drain your tofu and mash it up in a bowl. I just squeeze it with my hands. You could also use a fork or masher.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the bowl with the tofu and mix it all together.
- When you are done heating the vegetables for 5-10 minutes, add the tofu mix to the pan and heat for about 5 additional minutes. Mix everything in the pan while it cooks. If sticking occurs, add a bit more plant milk or water.
- Remove the pan from heat when your tofu scramble is finished. Top with avocado and more scallions if desired.
I've had some tofu scrambles that were disappointing .. this one was the bomb! Definitely a keeper, thank you!
I've been struggling with breakfast ideas. Thank you for this!!
This turned out great! Thanks!
I'm so glad you liked it!