This post contains affiliate links for which I may earn a commission (at no extra cost to you) should you make a purchase. Please see my disclaimer for more information.
This blueberry spinach smoothie is full of nutrients and is a delicious treat for any time of the day! It is dairy-free, vegan, and gluten-free.
I incorporate a smoothie into my diet pretty much everyday, because it’s an easy way for me to eat a lot of fruits and vegetables!
I don’t eat leafy salads too often, so a smoothie is the perfect way to sneak in some greens. Spinach is a great option because it’s quite easy to mask that spinach flavour with some fruit!
This particular smoothie is one of my favourites! It’s super easy to throw together and it will leave you feeling healthy and satisfied.
*Scroll down to recipe box for quantities and instructions.
Almond milk (or other plant milk of choice)
Cacao powder (optional)
A blueberry spinach smoothie sounds pretty healthy, and this one really is! No heavily processed ingredients here. Just healthy, whole, plant-based foods.
Blueberries are high in antioxidants, as berries have more antioxidants than any other fruits or vegetables. Dr. Michael Greger, author of How Not to Die recommends eating one serving of berries per day. I usually do this by adding blueberries to my daily smoothie!
Blueberries have many positive benefits to various organs of the body. Learn more about the benefits of blueberries on Dr. Greger’s website, where you can also find videos about how blueberries can affect artery function, the brain, and more.
Spinach is high in potassium, magnesium, fiber, and more. It has been linked to several health benefits, including improved bone health, skin, and hair. You can read more about spinach here.
This smoothie includes one tablespoon of ground flaxseed for added nutrition. Ground flaxseeds provides some plant-based omega-3 fatty acids, protein, and a decent amount of fiber. You can read more about the health benefits of flaxseed here.
Adjustments and substitutions
- This smoothie contains 15 grams of spinach, which is about ½ cup. If you want to add more, go for it! I usually add some more because I can handle the taste of the spinach pretty well, but many people want the spinach to be completely undetectable and 15 grams of spinach is the perfect amount for that!
- If you don’t have ground flaxseed, you can of course omit it, but you can also substitute with chia seeds or hemp seeds. All three of these seeds are incredibly nutritious and great in smoothies.
- I use almond milk for this smoothie, but you can also try using a different plant-based milk. Oat milk or cashew milk would be good options. Make sure you use unsweetened for the greatest health benefit.
- Cacao powder is optional for this smoothie, but it will add a delicious chocolate taste to your smoothie! Omitting it is completely fine if you would prefer no chocolate taste.
Other spinach smoothies
If you want to get some more sneaky spinach into your diet, try these other smoothies:
- Spinach apple smoothie
- Apple cinnamon breakfast smoothie
- Avocado smoothie with pineapple and ginger
- Spirulina smoothie
Blueberry Spinach Smoothie
- 15 grams spinach (about ½ cup)
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk or other plant milk of choice
- Optional: 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Drink immediately.