This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclaimer for more information.
This vegan burrito bowl recipe is super filling and high in protein. It is completely oil free and gluten free, and it is perfect for when you’re craving a taco!
Burrito bowls are one of my favourite dishes ever! This particular bowl is inspired by Chipotle’s vegan burrito bowl with sofritas.
This burrito bowl contains so many delicious, healthy ingredients, and you can add or replace ingredients based on your preferences, just like you would at Chipotle!
*Quantities can be found in the box further down.
This bowl contains:
– Brown rice
– Romaine lettuce
– Tofu crumble
– Black beans or pinto beans (your choice)
– Green pepper
– Red pepper
– Yellow Onion
– Water (for sautéing without oil!)
– Garlic powder
– Optional additional flavouring (such as cumin, paprika, chilli powder)
How to make a vegan burrito bowl
*Compact recipe box can also be found below.
Making this burrito bowl isn’t hard, but it is time consuming if you don’t already have the individual ingredients prepared. Once everything is prepared, you simply have to throw it all together in a bowl!
Look through all the steps before starting. You can work on many things at the same time to get your burrito bowl made faster! For example, prepare other elements of the bowl as your tofu cooks, as your rice cooks, etc.
The first thing you should do is start preparing the tofu crumble. You will need to press your tofu for about 30 minutes, but while you wait, you can prepare some of the other elements of this burrito bowl. The tofu crumble is a separate recipe that is linked below in the recipe box. The recipe makes a fairly large quantity of tofu crumble and you will only need to use about 1/4 of the recipe for a single serving of a vegan burrito bowl. However, I recommend you make the entire tofu crumble recipe and save the rest in the fridge for a few days. You can use it to make another burrito bowl or just add it to any simple rice bowl. You could also make tacos with it or just eat it plain because it is that good!
While your tofu is pressing for 30 minutes, this would be a good time to prepare any toppings for your bowl so they are ready to go when all the cooking is done. This way you want have to reheat anything at the end. You can make this salsa and guacamole (click the links for recipes). You can also try this vegan tofu sour cream! If you’d rather buy these to make things easier, that’s fine too.
Cook the rice if you don’t already have it prepared.
Measure out 1/2 cup of canned beans so they are ready to go.
Cook the veggies. For this step, you will add your chopped peppers to a pan on the stove, along with the corn, onion, tamari, and garlic powder. Heat on low-medium. Once a simmer is reached, simmer for about 10 minutes. Add a bit of water whenever needed to prevent sticking.
Put it all together! Don’t forget to tear up some romaine lettuce and toss that in too! I find the guacamole and salsa add plenty of flavour to this burrito bowl, but if you want some more flavour, sprinkle on some cumin, paprika, or chilli powder!
Other yummy bowl recipes:
Please comment and share if you enjoy this recipe!
Vegan Burrito Bowl
- ½ cup tofu crumbles (click for the recipe, you will need about ¼ of the recipe)*
- 2 large romaine leaves
- ½ cup cooked brown rice
- ½ cup cooked black beans or pinto beans (canned is easiest so you don’t have to cook them, get no salt added)
- ½ cup green pepper (chopped)
- ½ cup red pepper (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons chopped yellow onion
- ¼ cup frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon tamari (low sodium, gf if necessary)
- ¼ cup water (approximately)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Start by making the tofu crumble because you will need to press your tofu for at least 30 minutes. The recipe is linked in the ingredients list above. For one burrito bowl you will only need about ¼ cup of the recipe, however I recommend making the full recipe and saving the rest for other meals. Continue with the following steps while your tofu is pressing and cooking so your bowl can come together as fast as possible!
- While your tofu is pressing, you can prepare the guacamole and salsa if you are making your own. I have linked recipes in the ingredients list above.
- Cook your rice if you don’t have any ready to go.
- Cook your beans if you aren’t using canned.
- To prepare your peppers and corn, add all of the ingredients under the “veggie mix” list to a pan. Cook on the stove on low-medium heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. Cook a bit longer if you want the peppers to be softer. Start with a tablespoon of water and add more as needed to prevent sticking.
- Once you have made everything, simply add it all to a bowl and enjoy! Don’t forget to add your romaine lettuce. Just tear as much as you want and throw it in. I like using 2 large leaves.