This vegan chocolate frosting is super simple to make and only requires 3 ingredients! It’s very chocolatey and is great on cake or cupcakes.
Chocolate frosting, chocolate icing, whatever you call it, it is just something you need sometimes!
You don’t need to stop spreading chocolate frosting on your cupcakes when you’re eating a plant-based diet.
This vegan chocolate frosting is so chocolatey and sweet, you may even find yourself just eating it by the spoonful. I know I do!
This frosting is also healthier than most, with no oil and no refined sugar. No vegan butter or powdered sugar here.
This frosting only has three simple ingredients:
- Coconut cream
- Pure maple syrup
- Cacao powder
Tips for making this vegan chocolate frosting
- Make sure you chill your coconut cream before making this frosting. I buy canned coconut cream and put it in the fridge for at least 12 hours to allow it to thicken and separate. The coconut will settle on the top and the water will be underneath. Scoop off the thick cream and leave the liquid part. You can use it for something else, such as a smoothie.
- Don’t mix in all of the cacao powder at once. It will be very difficult to incorporate. Start with half, mix it in fully, then mix in the other half. Pause to scrape down the sides as needed.
- Ensure that you use 100% pure maple syrup. It’s much healthier than syrup with added refined sugar.
- You can store this chocolate frosting in a container in the refrigerator for about a week. It may be good for a bit longer than that, but it’s never lasted that long in my house!
- If you find your frosting to be too thick after refrigeration, you can re-mix it with an electric mixer and add a splash of non-dairy milk if mixing doesn’t fluff it up enough. I haven’t had an issue with this though!
Other vegan chocolate recipes you may like:
3-Ingredient Vegan Chocolate Frosting
- Add the coconut cream to a mixing bowl and mix it with an electric mixer for about one minute.
- Add the maple syrup and mix again.
- Add ¼ cup of the cacao powder and mix until fully incorporated.
- Add the remaining ¼ cup of cacao powder and mix one last time.