This post contains affiliate links for which I may earn a commission (at no extra cost to you) should you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclaimer for more information.
This vegan chickpea salad is super healthy, yet tasty! It has no vegan mayo and is completely oil-free and gluten-free. It’s packed with nutrients and has a delicious dressing!
If you aren’t obsessed with chickpeas, you should be! I eat chickpeas almost every single day because they are a great source of protein and you can toss them into so many things!
I love adding them to burrito bowls, tacos, mixing them with potatoes…the options are endless!
A chickpea salad is a great way to get lots of protein and vegetables into a single meal, and the dressing for this vegan chickpea salad recipe is to die for!
This chickpea salad is:
- Whole-foods plant-based
- Full of veggies
Tips and substitutions for this vegan chickpea salad
- I recommend mashing about ¾ of the chickpeas, but it is really personal preference. You can mash all of the chickpeas completely, or leave them all whole. I like to mash some or else they tend to roll off of forks or out of wraps and sandwiches. Mashing some of them helps hold the ingredients together, but I like to keep some of them whole for a varied texture.
- Ensure you use ripe avocado so that it can be easily mashed. That way you will be able to incorporate it with the mashed chickpeas.
- Feel free to switch up the chopped vegetables that are in this chickpea salad. You can adjust the amounts or add some other vegetables such as corn. Just try to make sure you have a total of around 1 cup of chopped veggies so that the ratio will be correct with the other ingredients and the dressing.
- For the coleslaw mix, you can buy carrot, green cabbage, and red cabbage and shred it yourself for a total of 1 cup. You could alternatively buy a prepackaged coleslaw mix.
- I love using romaine lettuce for this recipe, but it could be substituted for any other lettuce that you prefer.
- You can eat this chickpea salad on its own, or use it in other ways. It is great in a sandwich or a wrap, and can also be put on crackers.
Check out these other healthy plant-based salad recipes:
Pin it for later!
Healthy Vegan Chickpea Salad (No Mayo)
- Start by mashing the chickpeas in a large bowl. They don’t need to all be completely mashed. I mash about ¾ of the chickpeas and leave the rest whole.
- Add the avocado and mash it in.
- Mix in the celery, red pepper, dill pickle, and red onion.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together the Dijon mustard, tahini, maple syrup, and lemon juice. Once it is mixed, pour it onto the chickpea mixture and stir it in.
- Finally, mix in the coleslaw mix and romaine lettuce.