This vegetable stew is hearty, vegan, and easy to make. It is packed with veggies and is a filling dish to warm you up on a cold day.
I love curling up to watch TV with a bowl of this vegan stew on a stormy day. Stew is definitely a comfort food for me. I love the thickness and the rich flavour. And of course it’s a great way to get a variety of vegetables into your day!
This vegetable stew is:
Easy to make
Full of veggies
What you will need for this vegetable stew
Here are the ingredients you will need (get the full recipe further down):
- Yellow onion
- Vegetable broth
- Dijon mustard
- Balsamic vinegar
- Maple syrup
- Tomato paste
- Italian seasoning
- Ground black pepper
- Frozen peas
- Gluten-free all-purpose flour
You can use whatever kind of potato you like, but I prefer russet potatoes.
If you aren’t gluten-free, using a regular flour should work the same to thicken this stew recipe.
Don’t worry about making the measurement of the vegetables exact for this recipe. I put the amounts in cups, but amounts will vary based on which size you chop your veggies.
Tips for making this vegan stew
- When you saute the onion, garlic, and celery, you likely won’t need any broth or water. The moisture from the vegetables should prevent them from sticking. If you notice them sticking, just add a splash of water or vegetable broth.
- There’s no need to peel your potatoes for this vegan stew, however you can peel them if that’s what you prefer.
- Ensure that you chop your broccoli into smaller florets than usual. If they are too large, the stew will be more difficult to eat.
- Use low sodium vegetable broth, and ensure it’s oil-free if you choose to eat a whole-food plant-based diet.
- To thicken this vegetable stew, you will add some flour near the end of the cooking time. As explained in the full recipe below, you must mix the flour with cold water to form a smooth paste before adding it to the stew. If you add the flour directly to the cooked stew, it will clump up and you won’t be able to smooth it out.
Other veggie-packed recipes you may enjoy:
Easy Vegetable Stew (Vegan)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 3 ribs chopped celery
- 2 chopped carrots
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 ½ cups chopped russet potato
- 2 cups chopped cremini mushrooms
- 2 ½ cups vegetable broth (low sodium)
- 1 tablespoon tamari (low sodium)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- ¼ cup tomato paste (low sodium)
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 tablespoons gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 7 tablespoons cold water
- In a large pot (I use a dutch oven), saute the onion, garlic, and celery for about 5 minutes on medium heat. It shouldn’t stick due to moisture from the vegetables, but if some sticking occurs, add a bit of water.
- Add the carrots and continue sautéing for about 10 more minutes.
- Add everything else except the peas, flour, and water. Mix thoroughly, then cover and bring to a boil. It is okay if the broth does not completely cover all of the veggies. If you add more broth, your stew will likely end up being too thin. Lower the heat to a simmer and put the lid on. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, mix in the frozen peas.
- In a small bowl, add the flour and cold water. Mix it thoroughly until it is smooth with no clumps. Then pour this mixture into your pot and stir on low heat until the stew has reached your desired consistency.